Date of Award

8-1971

Document Type

Thesis

Degree Name

Master of Science

Department

Master of Biology

Abstract

Within the last decade, air pollution has become a serious problem. The increased concentration of many pollutants in the atmosphere presents a threat to the very existence of living things. Air pollution is, for the most part, a phenomenon of urban living that occurs when the capacity of the air to dilute is overburdened. An increase in population, industrial growth, and a high degree of dependence on the motor vehicle caused new gaseous and particulate emissions to complement, interact with, and further complicate the traditional ones (Train, et.. al. , 1970). Air pollution can occur in the form of gases, solid particulates or liquid aerosols. These forms can exist either separately or in combinations. Gaseous pollutants constitute about 90 percent of the total mass emitted to the atmosphere, and particulates and liquid aerosols make up the other 10 percent (Morgan, et. al. , 1970).

Gaseous pollutants are evolved primarily from the combustion of fuels and refuse. In the case of sulfur oxides, the burning of high-sulfur fuels in stationary sources is the primary source. Motor vehicles account for most of the carbon monoxide and hydrocarbon emissions which result from the incomplete combustion of the fuel used (Wolman, 1968).

The term particulate matter is a general one and includes numerous pollutants. Particulates are emitted by a diverse group of sources and vary over a wide range of sizes, shapes, densities, and chemical composition. Combustion of fuels, incineration of waste material, and industrial losses are responsible for the major share of particulate matter (Train, et. al., 1970). Abrasions and wear of material plus reentrainment resulting from vehicle traffic and wind action make a small contribution to the total burden. Particulates are a significant problem because of their widely varying economic and biological effects (Morgan, et. al., 1970). According to data from the National Air Surveillance Network (Middleton, et. a.l., 1970) , a definite relationship was shown concerning population, industrialization, and atmospheric particulate concentration. Particulate air pollution is both source and location-dependent as well as a function of meteorological factors.

Committee Chair/Advisor

J. E. Berry

Publisher

Prairie View State Normal and Industrial College

Rights

© 2021 Prairie View A & M University

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.

Date of Digitization

04/21/2022

Contributing Institution

John B Coleman Library

City of Publication

Prairie View

MIME Type

Application/PDF

Share

COinS
 
 

To view the content in your browser, please download Adobe Reader or, alternately,
you may Download the file to your hard drive.

NOTE: The latest versions of Adobe Reader do not support viewing PDF files within Firefox on Mac OS and if you are using a modern (Intel) Mac, there is no official plugin for viewing PDF files within the browser window.