From Growing To Biology Plants 1e - Botany
Laboratory Topics and Assignments for Dr. Youngblood’s class
1. How to write in a Scientific Notebook. For each topic completed be sure to record it in your laboratory notebook.
3. The Plant Cell Lab
Draw the Elodea plant cell as it appears using the light microscope. Be sure to note the cell wall, vacuole, chloroplast and nucleus. Note what happens to a cell when salt water is added.
a. The Plant Cell
5. Meiosis Lab. Draw the phases of Meiosis. There are six chromosomes in G1. Be sure to note and label the chromosomes as they appear in each phase. Include in your notebook.
6. Plant Growth and Development Lab – Hypothesis : My _____________ plant will grow from seed to flower in three weeks. Grow your plants at home Take a small pot and add potting soil. Record the type of soil. Place 4 lima bean seeds in moist soil. Make sure the soil is loose and not packed. Place the pot in the window sill or in a spot where it gets plenty of natural light each day. Record your results in the chart that you create and put in your results section.
11. Plant Reproduction Lab. Reproduction
12. Evolution of Land Plants Lab. Plant Evolution
Draw the cladogram showing the relationship between each plant group and their major characteristics. The following link will be helpful. Then draw the life cycle and label the major structures in the gametophyte and sporophyte generations.
This OER packet contains the course materials for BIOL 1411. Find out how plants are grown and function? Take a fantastic voyage through plants. From Growing to Biology: Plants 1e brings the latest information for understanding of traditional and modern plant growing, form, and production. Topics covered in 30 chapters include concise and up-to-date ‘big picture’ infographics, student learning outcomes (SLOs), key vocabulary, assessment, as well as identification of 120 species, and more. Moreover, author Dr. G. Hacisalihoglu emphasizes on leaning concepts, binding those concepts together with visuals approach to make learning faster and more memorable. From Growing to Biology: Plants 1e is packed full of horticultural information that is ideal for both academia and industry growers. It is basic enough that if you are just getting started learning plants, you will be able to catch up. Always remember that practice makes permanent and keep going to take your learning plant bio to new levels.